Black Thai Grilled Alaska Cod Tacos with Green Papaya Slaw and Sambal Crema
by Edwina Gadsby, Great Falls, Montana
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Servings: 4 (2 tacos each)
- 1-1/2 pounds Alaska Cod fillets, fresh or thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sambal or sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup peeled and shredded green papaya
- 1 cup finely shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 Roma tomato, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup snipped cilantro leaves
- 3 Tablespoons slivered mint leaves
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema (sour cream or mayonnaise)
- 2 teaspoons sambal or sriracha
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 8 small (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
Place Alaska Cod fillets in shallow glass dish. Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, sambal, sugar and oil. Pour half the mixture over fish and reserve remaining for slaw. Let fish marinate 15 minutes.
For Slaw: Combine green papaya, cabbage, tomato, carrot, cilantro and mint. Toss with reserved dressing until combined.
For Crema: Whisk together crema, sambal and lime juice. Refrigerate until serving. Preheat grill or stovetop grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove fish from marinade and grill until barely done, 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout. Remove fillets from grill and break into large chunks.
Line each tortilla with Green Papaya Slaw. Top with chunks of fish and drizzle with Sambal Crema. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Tip: Alaska Halibut is also excellent in this recipe!
Nutrients per serving (2 tacos): 569 calories, 27g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 42% calories from fat, 83mg cholesterol, 35g protein, 45g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 1394mg sodium, 71mg calcium, and 2070mg omega-3 fatty acids.